Sprouts Chaat: Shraavan
This is my tribute to ‘Shraavan’ – the time of the year when my cook, my housemaid and my nanny give up meat. So, it’s fitting that I officially move to vegetarian cooking till the end of Ganeshotsav!
It was a rainy Sunday afternoon and I had unexpected guests. I had no idea if they would stay for lunch but I decided to cook anyway. Sheer serendipity made this sprouts chaat possible. Whenever my cook makes sprouts vegetable, I would find it a little undercooked. So, this time I decided to boil the sprouts in a pressure cooker and then season or cook it. What came out of this ‘experiment’ was a delectable chaat, best paired with ginger tea and that’s exactly what we did.
1 cup sprouted green grams
2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 medium-sized green chillies
2 tsp mango powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilly powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 lemon, squeezed
Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil
Salt as per taste
1. Boil the sprouts in a pressure cooker with a little salt.
2. To a pan add oil and throw in the cumin seeds.
3. When they crackle, add the onions and fry till they turn pinkish.
4. Add tomatoes and let them be a little undercooked. Add the green chillies.
5. Add the sprouts to this and stir well.
6. Add turmeric and chilly powder to this.
7. Then add the mango powder and stir well.
8. Squeeze a lemon and garnish with coriander
9. Serve as a chaat with fried dried puris or as a salad with a main course.
Either ways this is a hugely healthy snack for a rainy day!